Cleaning the kitchen is not just about wiping all the surfaces or washing plates, but the crucial part is cleaning the refrigerator. Refrigerator is the place that should stay always clean, because fungi and bacteria proliferating on stale products that may contaminate food and other products.This will increase the risk of food poisoning. So, when cleaning a fridge, you should be an expert in handling the right tools and detergents. It is also a good idea to do it regularly and according to some time schedule.
Here’s what you can do to keep your fridge clean:
1) If the fridge has removable shelves and drawers, you should take care of them.
If they are not heavily contaminated with food, you only need to soak them in lukewarm water with dish detergent added to it. To remove stubborn stains, it is recommended to use special cleaners designed specifically for refrigerators or antibacterial chemicals which are not harmful to food products. For instance, you can use home made or natural detergents available in the local markets of Singapore.
2) Detergents designed specifically for cleaning the fridge are sold in many stores.
Most of them are manufactured in the form of a spray. They should not be sprayed directly on food, but generally they are safe. Other than that, you can use all-purpose kitchen cleaners. In most cases, they do not affect the quality of food products you place in a fridge after cleaning it. Try to choose those sprays which do not contain any harsh chemicals such as chlorine or bleach. Instead, you can use some special sprays available in the market or some good all-purpose cleaner for the kitchen, which also does not affect the quality of the food.
3) You can clean a fridge with a help of natural detergents.
For example, the inner side of the fridge can be cleaned with lukewarm water mixed with white vinegar. You can add a few drops of lemon juice to neutralize the smell of the vinegar. Besides, a small cup of baking powder helps absorbing any food smell.
Cleaning the Fridge on a Schedule
A good schedule can ensure that the fridge is always clean and the products are always fresh. It is advised that you do not need to clean the entire fridge each and every day. You only need to make minor efforts to maintain cleanliness.
If you want your fridge to be clean at any given time, include the following steps to your schedule:
– Daily activities – It only takes a few minutes to check if you have spilled something on the fridge shelves. The sooner you notice food stains, the easier it will be to remove them. Clean the shelves and handles with antibacterial wipes – believe it or not, these are the dirtiest things in the entire kitchen.
– Weekly Activities – Before you fill the fridge with food products purchased for the next week, make sure that there are no left-overs you want to get rid of. It is always a good idea to keep your fridge free from any unnecessary food.
– Less Frequent Activities – When the time comes to big cleaning, remove every thing from the refrigerator, including shelves and drawers. Wash all the shelves and clean all the surfaces. You can clean different compartments of your fridge at different times during a month.
Cleaning the Fridge Grill
The condenser in your fridge continuously removes heat from all the compartments. The accumulation of dust on the condenser coil acts as an isolation and prevents the heat from removing, which can influence the lifespan of the fridge.
The grill and its coils are usually placed in the lower compartment of a fridge, but sometimes they can be placed on top or at the rear wall. This part of your refrigerator must be cleaned twice a year. For this purpose, you can use either a vacuum cleaner with a narrow nozzle or a long thin brush. Don’t forget to disconnect the mains plug.
Last but not the least, if you are planning to spend some time away from home in Singapore, turn off the fridge, remove all the remaining food products, clean the refrigerator and leave it open. By doing so, you will ensure that the fridge stays free from any odor during your absence.